TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Businesses call for peaceful anti-Ahok rally

News Desk (The Jakarta Post)
Jakarta
Tue, November 29, 2016 Published on Nov. 29, 2016 Published on 2016-11-29T16:52:01+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Business concerns: Indonesian Employers Association (Apindo) chairman Hariyadi B. Sukamdani (left) and Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin) chairman Rosan Roeslani speak to journalists on Tuesday during a press briefing to share business players' perspectives on a large-scale rally planned to be held in Jakarta on Dec.2. The business lobby groups said the rally could disrupt business in the city if it did not pass off peacefully. Business concerns: Indonesian Employers Association (Apindo) chairman Hariyadi B. Sukamdani (left) and Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin) chairman Rosan Roeslani speak to journalists on Tuesday during a press briefing to share business players' perspectives on a large-scale rally planned to be held in Jakarta on Dec.2. The business lobby groups said the rally could disrupt business in the city if it did not pass off peacefully. (JP/Winny Tang)

L

eaders of two powerful business lobby groups, the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin) and the Indonesian Employers Association (Apindo), have called on would-be participants in a planned large-scale rally on Dec. 2 to maintain order and collectively prevent actions that might disrupt business activities in Greater Jakarta.

“We have learned some indications that sweeps will be conducted at a number of factories in some areas. We, as business players, do not want this to happen,” Kadin chairman Rosan Roeslani said on Tuesday.

(Read also: Police to reroute traffic during Dec. 2 rally)

Apindo chairman Hariyadi B. Sukamdani said a dozen companies in Tangerang, for example, had to stop their production activities on Nov. 24 after a group of protesters carried out a sweep to encourage workers join their labor rally on that day.

“We want to emphasize that business players respect democracy, but we want them [protesters] to also respect our rights,” he said.

Previously, the leadership of the Confederation of Indonesian Workers Unions (KSPI) announced that its members would join the Dec. 2 rally, initiated by the National Movement to Safeguard the Indonesian Council of Ulema’s Fatwa (GNPF-MUI) to demand the arrest of Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama for blasphemy. (win/hwa)

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.